2 - 3 minute read
Complete Guide To Compression
This course, taught by professional producer and Music and Sound Recording graduate Rob Jones, will take you from a basic to a thorough understanding of this powerful audio effect. The course is available immediately after purchase and is accessible 24/7/365, with help from tutors on the Producertech forum when required.
- Streamed lessons – access 24/7/365
- Live set from the course
- Detailed written notes for each lesson
- Compressor Basics
- Going straight in with an example, Rob shows you how the different parameters on a standard compressor effect a drum loop.
- Compression’s Effect on Frequency and Level
- In this lesson, Rob introduces you to the effect of compression on extremes of frequency.
- De-essing a Vocal
- In the final tutorial in this course, Rob demonstrates how to implement a multiband compressor as a de-esser to clean up vocals and remove unwanted sibilance.
- Compressing a Kick Drum
- Rob demonstrates how to apply compression to a kick drum for added punch and power.
- An Advanced Analysis of Attack and Release
- A detailed look into the effect of commonly used parameters: Attack and Release.
- Sidechain EQ
- Rob explains how to properly use the compressor sidechain for the biggest difference in your sound.
- Compressing a Vocal
- Rob explains how to utilize multiband and single band compression for a smooth vocal recording.
- Multiband Compression and Mix Buss Compression
- A comparison of the effect of single band and multiband compressors on the stereo buss.
- External Sidechain Sources – Pumping/Ducking
- Rob demonstrates the use of ducking, one of the best creative compression techniques.