2 - 4 minute read
Dawesome Abyss: A Visual Synthesizer
Abyss is a visual synthesizer with a unique and inspiring workflow based on sound colours. Navigating through endless lists of oddly named sounds is a thing of the past with Abyss, as its tone colour approach provides a simple way to create complex sounds and find your sound faster than ever. With more than 2000 sound colours as building blocks for patches and over 130 carefully crafted patches, you’ll find instant inspiration for your music and sound design projects.
- Tone Colour Gradient: Place tone colours on the gradient to create a palette of timbral variation that becomes the base of your patch.
- Easy pitch snap function to stay within scale.
- Virtual analog filter with resonance.
- Two of the LFOs can be used as step sequencers.
- Arbitrary modulation with 13 sources and 23 destinations.
- 2 ADSRs, 3 LFOs.
- MPE support.
- Four sound effects: Shimmer, Delay, Reverb, and Phaser.
- Option for a brick wall limiter.
- Scalable, responsive UI.
The sound engine of Abyss combines the rich and deep textures of natural sounds with the effective flexibility of classical synths. Its tone colour approach provides a simple way to create complex sounds and nuanced instruments. With its unique “stereo” modifier, you can skew most parameters differently for the left and right channel. And the noise parameter adds “musical noise” specifically based on and tuned to the selected sound colour. Whether you mainly use presets or are a seasoned sound designer, you can follow your intuition to create your own signature sound with Abyss.
About the Abyss Design Team
Abyss synth is created by Peter V, a mathematician by education and musician at heart. He is a veteran in artificial intelligence and founded his first startup two decades ago. After quitting his day job, it took almost two years of research and dozens of prototypes to develop the innovative sound engine and user interface of Abyss. Peter believes you can find music in everything and that drawing inspiration from visual art can only benefit composition and sound design. He aspires to create a new generation of tools that are inspiring and joyful to use and uncover interesting new sonic possibilities.
- Mac: macOS 10.11 or later (64-bit), AU/VST3
- PC: Windows 10 (64-bit), VST3