2 - 3 minute read
Inphonik’s PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit
Give some extra life to your music with Inphonik’s PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit. This free effect plug-in is available for Windows, macOS, and GNU/Linux and is a companion effect to the company’s RYMCast Genesis VGM Player.
The PCM2612 is a bit crusher effect based on the same technology developed for Inphonik’s RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer, which is a recreation of the Sega Genesis sound chip. It also features two different graphical interfaces: one vertical (box) and one horizontal (rack) to suit the various devices and preferences of users.
- Emulate the line-out circuitry of the Sega Genesis Model 1, released in 1988.
- 32-steps scalable 8-bit decimation
- Dry / Wet level knob
- Stereo / Mono switch
- Switchable output filtering between Legacy (modelled after the Sega Genesis Model 1 amp output circuitry) and Crystal Clear (purely digital)
- Graphical interface scaling options (1x, 1.5x, 2x)
- Switchable graphical form factor (vertical box or horizontal rack)
- Inphonik’s first native Linux and Apple Silicon plugin
- Windows Vista and higher (VST 2, VST 3 and AAX) (64-bit only)
- macOS 10.7 and higher (Intel & Apple Silicon included) (VST 2, VST 3, AU and AAX) (64-bit only)
The 8-bit decimation is inherited from the FM synth’s PCM playback feature, packed in a simple and compact effect unit. It gives a distinctive 8-bit quantized and aliased effect to any sound you plug into it. Inphonik decided to fix this problem by publishing a free effect plug-in with this feature only, to help their users to enjoy the PCM playback feature that emphasizes the company’s love for the YM2612’s 8-bit sound.