3 - 4 minute read
RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
Feel the FM vibe for your retro and modern needs with the RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer. This versatile synth offers a lively and authentic tone, making it a valuable addition to your synth arsenal. It’s a Genesis music files player that allows you to mute/solo each channel of your favorite soundtracks and to drag & drop the sounds directly to an RYM2612 instance.
RYMCast is a free companion app that runs on Windows, macOS, and GNU Linux. It demonstrates the vast potential of the original hardware’s FM engine and allows you to reproduce its full spectrum. A soundbank, RYM2612 Soundbank: God Of Rainbows, is available for download and gives you a chance to get your hands on this altered beast, combined with the rich control and modulation possibilities offered by your modern DAW. Insert Extra Patches
RYMCast is more than a simple sound-alike, the emulation is cycle-accurate to the original chip, that allows reproducing every unique possibility of the synth. The Yamaha YM2612 provided enough features to produce complex, evolving tones, as well as crazy sound effects and PCM samples playback.
- Cycle-accurate emulation of the YM2612 FM soundchip
- Genuinely reproduces the unique and characteristic sound of its hardware counterpart (digital saturation, huge feedback amount, natural distortion, …)
- Audio input for adding 8-bit PCM sweetness to any signal
- Low CPU usage
- Switchable output filtering and ladder effect
- A couple of limitations from the soundchip have been taken away: up to 16 voices of polyphony, dedicated PCM channel (you can of course stick to 6 simultaneous voices if you want to experience the real thing)
- 100+ various, sorted, evocative patches to start with
The 16-bit Legacy
Not many people were aware of this, but unlike other videogame consoles, the Sega Genesis/Megadrive had a complete FM synth onboard. On top of this, the amp circuitry of the console has been reproduced too, in order to obtain the same grain you’d get if you plugged the real hardware into your DAW.
Iconic FM Synthesizer
RYM2612 is a software FM synthesizer in VST, Audio Unit and AAX formats. This product is in no way affiliated with Sega and Yamaha. It’s an emulation of the Yamaha YM2612 sound chip, best known for being the vibrant voice of the Sega Genesis/Megadrive videogame console.
Packed with a generous array of instruments, this free soundbank is a direct portal to the mysterious temple of God of Rainbows with eerie sounds, cavernous synths, as well as realistic acoustic recreations, and responsive performance instruments. \*Sega and Yamaha brand names are the trademark of their respective owners.